I want to share with you a few quick things about how to come through a place of temptation.
“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
-1 Corinthians 10:13
Remember, you resisting temptation has a great reward: that’s why there is a battle in it.
- Flee temptation: Run in the opposite direction. The New Testament says to flee immorality and to flee idolatry.
- Resist temptation: “Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you…” (James 4:7). Resist means to put your energy and your focus against it. Resist, so that you can send the devil fleeing.
- Go to a trusted friend and ask for prayer: The Bible says, “Two are better than one” (Ecclesiastes 4:9). “One can put a thousand to flight, two can put 10,000 to flight” (Deuteronomy 32:30). Take advantage of God’s grace.
- Victory doesn’t always “feel” good: You’re in a battle. All battles require exertion and energy that you may not have been anticipating. It’s going to mess up your hair and mess up your deodorant. Remember, the battle comes with a reward and is sweet – it’s worth having.
- Choose your friends wisely: “The righteous choose their friends carefully” (Proverbs 12:26).
May God meet you at this time if you are facing temptation to be on the right side. He is for you and He will provide the way of escape – look for it!